Monday, October 10, 2011

Life Changing Event

Like Junior in Sherman Alexie’s book “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian”, I too made a life changing decision when I choose to return to school after about 10 years. I was 19 when I decided to get married and only had my Associates in Arts at BYU-Idaho by the time we had our first born. Staying home with the kids for the first few years was important to us, so I was a stay at home mom, or homemaker, for about 8 years. Once the kids were in school I decided it was time for me to go back and finish my degree. Last year my husband filed for divorce. This obviously was a very difficult for me, and I ended up withdrawing from my classes. With two little kids, little working history and only an Associates degree I was out on my own in this busy, fast paced world. The news of the divorce was hard, but I decided to not let it hold me back. I enrolled back into school the following semester. I am very busy, with work, school, the kids and church, but I am determined to finish this time around. I know it will not be an easy road, but well worth it in the end. I feel I can relate to Junior in a way and know that sometimes the road to success is not the easiest route, but with determination and hard work anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment